Friday, April 15, 2016

The Wise and Beautiful Arlene Martel (Tiger, 'Hogan's Heroes')




Arlene Martel's birthday was yesterday (April 14), and she passed away a couple of years ago, on August 12, 2014. Arlene, who played Tiger regularly on Hogan's Heroes, was a tremendous supporter of Bob Crane: The Definitive Biography and telling Bob Crane's true story.

Arlene Martel, right, with Carol Ford,
author of Bob Crane: The Definitive
Biography
, at the ICON Convention,
Stony Brook, NY (2007).
I had the honor of meeting Arlene in March 2007 at the ICON Convention in Stony Brook, New York. She was a beautiful soul, inside and out. Happy Birthday and rest in peace, Arlene. You are missed.

Below is an excerpt from our interview with Arlene, which was conducted on September 8, 2006, and published in Bob Crane: The Definitive Biography

“I never heard Bob Crane say anything that was shoddy, shabby, or rude. I never saw him throw a little hissy fit, or start doing a diva kind of act. I never saw him fling his ego around that way. He seemed very patient. Like, ‘Okay,’—like a shrug. You’d see him kind of shrugging, like, ‘Well, we gotta wait till they set up the lights some more,’ or whatever. I never saw him throw any kind of tantrum. He didn’t use the show, I think, as an opportunity to demonstrate his power in any way. If you had walked on the set, you wouldn’t think that he was the star necessarily. It was ensemble acting. I think everyone liked that idea. It seemed that there was good will among everyone. Everyone sort of rooted for everyone else. That’s why I always celebrated when they said, ‘You’re gonna work on Hogan’s this week.’ That was a big celebration to me. That it was so pleasant on the set. And so warm and friendly and family. And I loved the character I played, too. I loved playing Tiger because it was so opposite of other roles I played, like Mr. Spock’s wife [on Star Trek].” 
© 2015 Carol M. Ford


In 2015, Shine on Hollywood Magazine published a special tribute issue to Arlene. It is an open access publication that does not require a subscription to view.